Saturday 25 February 2012

As if I haven't got enough on.

I really must curb my optimism. I have spent the last two weeks convinced that next time I went to see the oncologist he would give the go ahead to resume chemo. You will recall from a previous post that two weeks ago I was told that my scan results weren't too good, and then told that I would have to wait at least two more weeks before treatment could restart. Those two facts did not sit well together with me, and I think that the last couple of weeks have been amongst the worst times I've had since my cancer journey started.

I'm not normally a worrier, but knowing what was going off inside my body and knowing that nothing is being done to stop it has caused me a few problems. I've been getting quite keyed up about the whole issue to the point when yesterday morning I felt physically sick. Fortunately that didn't happen and I made it to the hospital on time.

The doc was very pleased with the progress so far, but unfortunately was not prepared to restart this week. However he asked me to go back in one week rather than two as he thinks the extra seven days will do the trick. I suppose one further week rather than more is a good sign, but there are a couple of other problems to get over.

First, my temperature is still over the 37.5 trigger. On Wednesday it was 38.2 and yesterday 37.8, and no one seems to have a clue as to why. As if that's not enough I now have a blood pressure problem. A reading of 145/95 is not good. I suspect it may be down to the state I've been in for the last couple of weeks as there's been no previous issues with it, but I have to have it checked again on Monday. If it hasn't gone down I have to start treatment for hypertension before starting chemo again as one of the drugs given raises blood pressure.

As if all this isn't enough, I've felt absolutely lousy since Thursday afternnon, when I suddenly felt like passing out. Feel weak, achey, off food, and generally "yuck". Friday was bad and up to now today I feel totally knocked out. Let's hope the rest of the weekend picks up.

So, again one step forward and two steps back. This weekend I'll be stuffing myself with paracetamol to try to get the temp down, and trying to relax to get the blood pressure down. No pressure there then!

No comments:

Post a Comment