Wednesday 7 March 2012

What a difference a day makes.

This time yesterday I was feeling really down, perhaps as low as I have throughout my cancer journey. Already well below par following an infection holding up chemo for almost three months, I then managed to pick up some sort of virus needing antibiotics. As if that wasn't enough I had been given Ramipril to combat high blood pressure, and a few days into that treatment I was having strange feelings in the bladder area and there was an uncomfortable quantity of blood in my urine.

I read the leaflet that came with the Ramipril and it turned out that this drug could be the culprit, and it was possibly not helped any by an ageing and soon to be replaced urethral stent. I decided to stop taking the tablets, but I had to take a urine sample to clinic today and when I looked at a phial full of something that looked like it had been dredged from a river bottom I convinced myself that yet another incident was going to hold up treatment while my little lodgers were still growing.

This morning came along and it was off to the day treatment centre. The nurse wandered off with my little bottle of sludge, and was gone for what seemed like ages. I fully expected her to come back with a doctor shaking his head and giving me another delay. She eventually returned with the best sight I could have wished for - my treatment trolley. All they were interested in was protein content, and there was no problem with that.

So, treatment went ahead today after three months of constant problems, and I feel as if a ton weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Within a short time of starting on the drips I felt like a new man. My wife Marie says we can have one as long as he can cook and clean!

I'm sure the infusion of a hefty dose of steroids (to prevent sickness) has contributed to my current state of euphoria, but bring it on. For the last week or so I've been really low, have been hardly able to eat, and felt as if it could go wrong it will. Today I'm happy that something's coursing around my body trying to sort out all those nasty bits I could do without. I've eaten normally today and feel quite relaxed. I can't believe the difference.

I know the chemo is going to make me tired and reduce my immune system to rock bottom. I know I might have some nasty side effects, though I've been very lucky with that so far. I also know I'm not bothered about any of that because it will be worth every nasty moment if this course of treatment works.

Here's to a productive three months treatment and another piece successfully placed in this jigsaw puzzle that it my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment