Saturday 15 October 2011

Making a Meal of It ?

Haven't had much to say this week being rather cream crackered from three months of chemo that's just finished, so I thought a little smile might be in order.

Back in February I had surgery which included having part of my liver removed. As is customary I was admitted the afternoon before the big day, and around 5pm a porter came to take me for a chest x-ray, which apparently is now a pre-op requisite for those of us with bus passes. Just as I was being wheeled out of the ward the hot meal trolley arrived, and I had visions of missing my last decent (?) meal before the "nil by mouth" signs went up.

A young nurse saw me and the food pass each other, and said "Oh, if you're quick enough there'll be a dinner for you. It's liver tonight". As soon as she said it she remembered why I was in there, and her hands went to her face in absolute horror as she apologised profusely!

Fortunately that sort of thing doesn't bother me at all, and she too soon saw the funny side, especially when I said that she hadn't to worry as I'd got a couple of onions in the bedside locker.

Despite the fun perhaps the catering department should revise their thinking as to whether it's wise to serve liver to patients in the hepatology ward!

No comments:

Post a Comment