Wednesday 11 January 2012

One step forwards, two steps back!

Oh dear, perhaps I shouldn't have been feeling good just because I woke up yesterday morning feeling good. As the day went on I started getting stomach cramps and by early evening things had got to the point where I had to consider taking some action. I decided to ring the local NHS walk in centre as the only thing I could put it down to was the new antibiotics.

They were very helpful. After a chat with the triage nurse he decided I would be better speaking to a doctor, so he said someone would call me back within the hour. About ten minutes later a doctor called me back and after a long chat and lots of questions he decided that the most likely cause of this latest problem was the new antibiotics. Apparently this is quite a common side effect. He advised me to stop taking the Co-amoxiclav.

I asked if I should resume the Flucloxacillin, and he said the best plan would be to speak to my GP next morning as he should have access to the results of the swab test taken in A&E on Monday. The results of that would enable the best antibiotic to be identified.

This morning I rang my GP and the receptionist confirmed that no results had been received, adding that they would only be given the results of tests they had requested. In the end she decided that the best plan would be to get my GP to ring me back.

When the call finally came the GP said he'd checked the microbiology reports and nothing was shown against my name. We had a quick discussion about the best course of action, said that if I had any further problems with the wound I was to ask to see the nurse and tell the receptionist he'd told me to say it was an emergency.

Result.

No comments:

Post a Comment