Friday 25 May 2012

Oh Dear!

Today was the appointment to check on my recovery from the specific problems of the last three weeks, and to hear the results of the scans I had when I was hauled into dock last Friday. The recovery from severe dehydration continues and I feel tons better than a week ago. My brain scan shows that I've got one and it's fine and the cardiologist said my ECG was the best she'd seen all week, but that's where the good news stops.

My chest/abdo/pelvis CT scan indicates that the small lump in my lung has about halted, but the visitors affecting my liver are not giving up without a bloody good fight - and they're winning. My last two chemo regimes have done no good whatsoever and the little blighters are still growing - slowly but surely. Not at all what we wanted to hear, but having been told over a year ago that my cancer was very aggressive I wasn't too surprised. So, where do we go from here.

There is no point in continuing the current chemo as it's doing no good. In fact under the circumstances I'm better off without it because of side effect problems. However I'm told there's one more trick they can try. It seems there is a particular drug that attacks certain cancers that affect the liver. Damned if I can remember its name. The problem is that it's only effective on certain types of cell so that aspect now has to be checked out. Further tests are to be carried out on tissue removed when I had my liver resection in February last year to see if my bad cells could be expected to respond to this treatment. These tests will take around three weeks.

I've had my PICC line, which was borderline for having to be replaced anyway, taken out as if this hopefully wonder drug is used it can be done in one hour sessions by cannula, though they will replace it if I prefer. Having been freed of this particular bit of plumbing after all this time is lovely, though I'd rather it have been for a different reason.

Nobody's talking imminent doom and gloom, and now I've got over the "I've just been hit on the back of the head with a brick" feeling I'm at ease with all this, though I'm sure over the next few days I'll have my moments. Telling the kids was the only thing that got me a bit emotional today. Marie is still a bit numb from it all but, mainly for her benefit, we are now talking with Macmillan.

So, three weeks to wait to see if there's a next step or not. It won't be easy, but hey the sun's out and I've got three weeks away from doctors and hospitals. I see a holiday somewhere on the cards.

I'll blog you a postcard if we go away!!!

Just had a quick thought. What with the failing kidney a couple of weeks ago and now a diseased liver, I've had an "offal" few weeks.  OK - I'll get my coat!


1 comment:

  1. Keith am very sorry to hear all of this - such a shock for you and yours.

    I am sending positive thoughts into the ether that your bad liver cells prove 'perfect candidates' for this special target based drug. All my digits crossed till results come in. I hope you do find a suitable holiday and chance to forget for a while, ocassionally - if one ever really does.

    An even bigger hug for you and your family. Holding you all in my heart.
    Linda X (PS MM is a Keith too & like you he a keen steam loco enthusiast)

    ReplyDelete