Monday 21 May 2012

More Grief

I haven't updated these pages for over two weeks because I've been struggling to get my head together and find the right words. So, here's a bit of a catch up.

On May 4th I was prescribed a course of strong anti-biotics to combat infection. My temperature has always been a bit of a problem, and the "assumption" was infection. Why it has to be an assumption I don't know. They've had enough blood and urine samples to check properly but as far as I know nothing has happened along those lines. Anyway I dutifully commenced my tablets on Friday evening.

Over the weekend I started to become weak, breathless, disorientated, and heaven knows else what, and on Bank Holiday Monday had to all an ambulance to get me into hospital. Bloods were immediately taken and the intitial diagnosis was dehydration, so in went the saline drips. Good job I have a PICC line! It was later decided that the antibiotics were also part of the problem, and they were withdrawn.

Tuesday brought an Ultrasound scan, and I was then told that I was to be sent to another hospital for a special scan in the Nuclear Medicine Dept. It seems they were looking at the state of my left kidney. Recent problems preventing replacement of a urethreal sent meant suspicion of resrticted kidney function, and talk of inserting a nephrostomy was raising its ugly head. The following day two chaps arrived to inject me with some sort of radioactive material, and six hours later I was collected to make the short trip for the new scan.

While we were sat waiting for the scan the receptionist handed us the request slip to give to the radiologist, and what we saw on it was, to say the least, a bombshell. The exact words have become a bit of a blur, but message was "a nephrostomy is likely to be out of the question as the left kidney is too badly damaged". Obviously we were somewhat devastaed.The scans have confirmed that my right kidney is working OK at 97% and healthy, but the left is down to 3% and is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

After four days in the hospital I was discharged and given an appointment to see the onchologist last Friday. Bloods again revealed acute dehydration so the doc insisted I stay in for at least 24hrs for more IV fluids. I've had that much saline pumped into me over the last few weeks it's a wonder I don't spend all day singing sea shanties!

So back home next day with strict instructions on minimum fluid levels, which Marie is monitoring on pain of she's ringing 'em up to fetch me back if I don't behave! Feeling better already and starting to eat a bit more despite my taste buds still being about as much use as my left kidney, but I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment